I have a confession for you: I really dislike Halloween. The effort of combing through thrift stores for a creative ensemble that I will wear all of a few hours, walking up to strangers doorsteps, and the sugar overdoses of Halloweens past. It’s all a recipe for my least favorite holiday. So this Halloween my guy and I decided to stay in and watch scary movies and make spiked apple cider. Now, that’s an evening I can get behind. Join us tonight or any of these chilly autumn nights!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Feel free to modify any of these ingredients depending on your taste!
- 1 gallon Apple Cider
- 4 cups orange juice
- 4 hibiscus tea bags
- 10 cinnamon sticks
- 1 tsp. whole cloves
- 1 Tb. juniper berries
- 1 1/2 inch piece of fresh ginger, cut into slices
- 1 apple, sliced into rounds
- 1 orange, sliced into rounds
- Optional: Cinnamon whisky such as Fireball
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Place all the ingredients in a slow cooker and cover.
- Turn the slow cooker on high heat and cook for 3-4 hours, until the color has darkened and the fruit is soft. Remove the tea bags and serve hot.
Recipe and photo from A Spicey Perspective